Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cultural Shock

It is funny how certain things that we do on a day to day basis that are so average or part of the job to us can seem so fascinating to someone who has never seen or done anything like it and it reminds yourself of why it is you are doing something you love to do.

On my trip to Boston to visit my sister, I traveled through the airport system to get there and just like everyone else on the plane, I was anxiously waiting at each stop to see who I would be sharing my small space with for the next leap frog from airport to airport. Sometimes you get the person who just wants to sleep, the person who will talk your ear off or the person who needed a bath about three days ago! Luckily I got none of the above. I had the privilege of meeting a young lady who was the owner of a fresh furniture company called Russell & Mackenna and you can find them online at russellmackenna.com. After a few minutes of chit chat, she asked me what I did for a living. I said I am a Cotton Farmer out in West Texas and this opened a flood gate of questions she had about my occupation. Sometimes we forget how the simple things we take for granted and give little meaning to can be intriguing to someone who has never been around such things. Well, one thing led to another and as we were landing she mentioned how she would like to come to Texas and tell my story in her upcoming catalog because they use only 100% American made products to build their furniture. Even though I figured I would probably never hear from this lady again, I told her she could come out anytime, we exchanged phone numbers and went on with our busy lives.

After a few text messages and a few emails later, Lauren, the nice lady from the plane, was standing in my cotton field getting pictures taken by her friend Lee of Lee Kriel Photography. {like how I plugged both of you guys in my blog?}
I have to be honest I was not sure what to expect when they got here. Lauren had mentioned maybe taken some photos of me playing football and campfires and making a country music video out on the farm. All of you guys who know me know that most of the time I am OK with you videoing me playing football by the campfire but this is harvest, the busiest time of year for me, so I hated to tell Lauren I'm too busy for that right now but I think after a short time on the farm she came to the conclusion on her on.

Lauren's first of many comments was how fresh the air was. We were having a typical windy west Texas day so I really thought the air was a little dirty but the only thing I had to compare that to was a rare calm West Texas day. I gave her a ride on the cotton stripper and answered a few of her questions but not as many as she wanted. What is it about when a person puts a recorder in your face, you clam up? Or is that just me? Anyway, I hope I answered enough. She told me that she wanted to show how cotton went from the field to the gin to the mill and eventually ending up in her furniture. I really appreciated her taken up an interest in not just my cotton but in agricultural as a whole. I think that there are so many people in this world who do not understand or just simple have never been around agriculture and are unaware of how important it is and how much it effects everything and everybody in some way. So I was glad to help out. I will admit I felt a little weird posing out on the farm for photos but I have done worse....probably will not blog that though....haha.

I am certain that if I ever make it out to Maryland again and I happen to get to tour Russell & Mackenna that I am going to be the one with all the questions and with the wow look on my face. I do not have any pictures yet to post with this blog but I will plug them in as soon as possible. So with that said....Blog To Be Continued.

No comments: